Saturday, January 05, 2008

Tale of a torrent

I love the internet.

Since I last posted, the very helpful (and obviously, smarter than I am because he thought of this, and I didn't) Zam Wessel 69 posted to several Yahoo! Groups that would probably be 'in simpatico' with my desire to see the unexpurgated version of The Black Widow. He basically said the same thing as me - man your 'torrent clients.

While it'd be nice to say that overnight that resulted in the 1.69Gb of data I need whisking down my 'pipes', what it has done is set up a small group - an elite 'cadre' if you like - of peers, all of whom are patiently waiting to get that damn file. And as we all know, the more we share, the more we get.

Unfortunately as none of us has a complete copy of the file, for quite a while we all just sat there with 0% to show for our trouble. Then, randomly, someone somewhere starts seeding, and there's a flurry of downloads as we all share the new pieces. Then it stops. Then it'll start again.

Since this morning, when I started at 0% downloaded, we've moved up to... wait for it... 1.41%! Or 24.3Mb. About, ooh, 15% of one episode of this 13-chapter serial. So, we've got a way to go.

What I've found weirdly heartening though, is to look at my peers list and think "Hey, all the people I can see here want the same thing I do. I bet they're all masking fans." I bet you are, too, because yesterday before I posted it was just me and one other guy (apparently) in the world after the same file. Now there's 19 of us, on average.

So I say to you: hang in there, people. It'll be worth it. (I hope.) And it's lovely to be downloading beside you.

Oh, and considering when I searched for '"the black widow" republic serial torrent' on Google yesterday my posting came up on page 1, if you came here looking for the torrent, it's over here - and please, if you've got the file, seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment