Sunday, January 06, 2008

Finished an ish. Maybe.

Might have just finished Spider-Girl 14. Not sure. Gonna sleep on it. Unsure whether the scene break I just came to is a good issue break, or whether I should go on a little further... but then, it's over 10,000 words (just) and I'm thinking the next natural break is several thousand words away.

Hence: may have just finished the issue.

Had a lovely "Oh, wait, wait WAIT - this would be SO MUCH BETTER if I did it this way" moment earlier, right in the middle of a scene which I already had completed in my head. The change was so blindingly obvious, but at the same time led so naturally to some other stuff that I want to do, that I just had to make it. It's funny (Well, to me) but I was so excited I wrote the 'revelation' down underneath the text as I typed, as if I was going to forget it. Not likely. Still, three words can change a lot of stuff, especially when those words are '[CENSORED] AS [CENSORED]!!'

(You didn't think I was going to spoil it, did you? Especially when the payoff isn't going to happen until issue 15... at least. I'm not that cruel.)

I have to say, these are the bits you live for as a writer - or at least I do. Not the moments when the characters 'talk to you' (because I don't feel they do; wanky as it sounds, I feel like they just talk, I listen and transcribe) but when the character's actions suddenly skew the plot in a new and altogether better direction than the way you were already travelling. That's when you give thanks to The Muse.

Well, I am knackered, as we say in England; I think I've written over 7,000 words of this issue in the last couple of days. Don't get too excited yet but I think the groove may be back. Shhhh! I said don't get excited....

5 comments:

  1. can't wait to see where you are going with it.

    M.B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are SUCH a tease, gw! please post the new ish soon. i'm not sure how much longer i can go with no new activity in the group to speak of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually (believe it or not) this isn't an attempt to tease! More a progress report. Like to keep you guys informed.

    Speaking of informed - can you leave me initials? Please? Let me know who you are (or, at least, help me track the anon comments...). Ta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last post was by me, J.F.

    And with that new nostalgic post of yours, how can you even deny you're teasing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't deny the last post was a tease, at all. ;)

    New ish is up! Go read, let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete