Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year's Resolutions

For those of you following the Western calendar, anyway. First day of 2008. We're living in the future, I tell you. Flying cars just around the corner.

So I've been gone for a while again, but rest assured I've been thinking of you (and replying to the odd comment, and email). It's funny, I realised yesterday that while I scour YouTube and Yahoo! Groups for the occasional masking-related bit, then get all bitter and upset that no-one's doing anything, at the same time... I'm not doing much of anything myself. Which seems a bit two-faced, if you'll excuse the pun.

New Year's Day is a very good time to look at that sort of thing and wonder if you can't make a change. So here I am, looking at it.

In the past couple of days I've dug through Google Docs, and a few other spots on my hard drive, checking out unfinished work. I have a lot of it. (Not all of it has seen the light of day, either.) I'm sure a lot of writers have similar issues, and many more 'wannabe' writers (which I still classify myself as, really) but I doubt many of them have the same issue... which is that often these stories are left unfinished by me because they served their purpose. In other words, they got me excited, and that was that.

Bugs me, though.

Sure, there are some stories that haven't been finished because I can't figure out how to finish them, or more likely, I don't have an ending that I'm happy with. (Father Knows Best is a large, irksome example of this. Part 4 has an ending. I'm just not sure it's the one I want.) There are others which I abandoned because I just decided the idea wasn't worth spit anyway, or that basically I didn't want to write that any more.

Truth is though, if I get right down and look at it, many if not most of these things I could finish... I just choose not to. I was looking at a couple of particular things in the last couple of days thinking "Might be fun to finish that". So that's why my New Year's Resolution - as regards 'this field', anyway - is...

... finish more stuff.

Oh, and I think I might ask for your help in that. So stay tuned.

5 comments:

  1. So you're a writer and like superheroines... cool... maybe you'd like to contact me, my e-mail is batgirl_elisa@yahoo.es

    Do you think you could find a good adventure for me? Or maybe join me as Batman... there are too many villains for me only... ;)

    Waiting for you bat-signal,
    Batgirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would love to see the 4th part of Father Knows Best !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well so would I, Anonymous Commenter.

    Question is, what should happen in it??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jungle Fever
    M.B.

    ReplyDelete