Sunday, May 06, 2007

Thoughts on Spider-Man 3...

So, saw Spider-Man 3 yesterday. Liked it, overall, but didn't like it as much as the previous two movies. I think it had something to do with the slightly uneven feel to it - turning a character 'evil' and taking them on that emotional journey is always tough to do, tougher when it's 'superhero evil' - but overall I had no serious complaints. It's definitely worth seeing as the first big movie of the summer, although judging by box office you've all done that already.

Of course given where my thoughts have been regarding Spider-Man recently, re-working and re-thinking just about every major event and character to some degree in my head, it gave me something else to think about as the credits rolled.

Seeing Gwen Stacy brought to life by Bryce Dallas Howard was very nice, even if her character was underwritten. In comics history Gwen was brought in slowly to Peter's life, starting as a supporting character and then becoming his girlfriend - here that role's already filled by MJ, so she's the 'other woman' during the movie. I couldn't help look at her as the 'real life look' for Gwen though, and the idea of Betty masking as her was nice to think about.

Betty herself, of course, was another quick cameo role for Elizabeth Banks. She's a knockout, really, and has been great in all three pictures. There was a brief moment of flirtation between her and Peter in the original film, a nod to the comics really (when she was Peter's first love, of course) but that's gone since then. I always felt it would have been cool to enlarge her role, and arguably she could have played the Gwen part in 3, if they'd rewritten the script. Can't blame Sam Raimi for wanting Gwen though, and I'm sure most fans would prefer it that way.

Finally from my perverted point of view there was the symbiote - the black costume. I've been thinking a bit more about Venom since someone suggested that introducing him/her/it to the Spider-Girl series might be interesting. I don't want to say much but I was planning to acknowledge that 'saga' at some point in the future. However I hadn't thought much about the possibilities of the suit itself; the film didn't really highlight anything major that I hadn't expected, either. I think there's plenty more I can do with the symbiote in a specific, disguise related capacity than the comics writers or film-makers would ever put their minds to.

After all, they're not quite as specific in their thinking as I am....

2 comments:

  1. I caught the movie Saturday night at the Imax theater. 6 story tall screen and incredible sound system. The fast paced action scenes were tough to follow on a screen that big, so I'm sure I'll be watching it again some time. ;)

    Overall I enjoyed it too. I heard some people complain that the love story slowed it down too much, but I felt it was integral to the story. Raimi balanced it out nicely though. It quickly sped back up before it got too slow, keeping you on your toes.

    The symbiote in the comics was capable of much more, especially with it's ability to change appearance at will and become whatever clothing Peter desired. The movie writers were smart to stay away from that one. For non-comic savvy viewers, it would've been too much and trivial.

    For "our" purposes, I think it's a great idea. I don't think Peter had the imagination to see if it could look like another person, instead of just clothes. Why not? It completely covers him as a second skin. The comic writers probably considered that, but didn't want to give him an ability that didn't fit with the character.

    There was the one scene in the movie, where evil Pete flirts with Betty, and I immediately thought of you and your stories, GW. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I wanted to see it in IMAX, but for some reason it's not showing at the 'local' (in London, about 50 miles away!!).

    I couldn't help think of the more flirtatious Betty that I write during that scene, either. Elizabeth Banks really can play a vixen, too - watch The 40-Year Old Virgin....

    Good to hear from you CM. :)

    ReplyDelete