Sunday, July 01, 2007

Rewriting ripples

Issues #11 and #12 of Spider-Girl dive into her family history in a big way, so I did some research early on... although that mostly consisted of reading early Amazing Spider-Man issues.

Turns out though, thanks to the industrious Kurt Busiek, I had some more history to read about. See, Busiek wrote a series called Untold Tales of Spider-Man, which basically 'filled in the gaps' in the really early issues of Amazing, adding extra detail. Detail's great, don't get me wrong, but recently I found some details that basically meant something I'd already written... really needed to get re-written.

I put it off for a while but this morning decided I wouldn't be able to keep writing issue #12 until I'd re-written the portion of issue #11 that was affected by this history change. Y'see, this is a fairly crucial part of the plot, and I knew when I made these changes it'd affect a lot of other stuff; like chucking a rock into a pond and watching the ripples. Sure enough, as I rewrote the one scene and started skimming through the rest of the issue, I began tinkering with lines, changing reactions and so on.

That process is going to have to continue with issue #12, which I'm motoring along on now. The good news is that this change gives me a potential plotline which might be interesting - and might lead to Betty doing something constructive with that Peter Parker mask she found....

2 comments:

  1. Heya Ghostly

    Now I'm looking forward to the next arc all the more with the hinted use of the Peter Parker Mask (And I was looking forward to it with bated breath as it was).

    Another tidbit I've remembered from a reprint of an early Spider-Man story that might be helpful. After Spider-Man put the Molten Man in jail he served out his sentence and was released. He started pulling robberies (breaking and enterings, burglaries in fact) and he disguised himself by using life-like latex masks. Thought you might be able to use it, though it is after the inital meeting between them.

    -Sheyd-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sheyd... sorry if I got you all excited, but Betty won't be using the Peter Parker mask in the next arc.

    However, the rewriting I've done lays the foundation for a story or two (a loooong way off) that'll definitely require that particular mask to be dusted off and used.

    However, as I've said.. female-to-male masking is on the agenda for the next arc (currently it's featured in issues #11 and #12). I think you'll like it.

    Thanks for that tidbit on the Molten Man. Know the issue number by any chance?

    Thanks for the comment as always. :)

    ReplyDelete