Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Three times thanks

I've been a bit 'out of sorts' over the last few days, and it's affected the writing; I've slowed down substantially. I tell you this as preamble to something positive; weirdly, it's at times like these that I'm most thankful to three sets of people.

All beginning with 'C'.

First are the Clickers. To those of you who've ever clicked on an ad, thank you. I finally got paid this month. It wasn't much, and it took about six months to accrue I think, but it was something - and it felt symbolic. So thank you. I know it doesn't cost you anything and it doesn't take any time, but still, you did it. Ta.

Second are the Commenters, even if my dictionary says that isn't a word. I honestly cannot tell you how helpful it is to get a positive comment on my writing, whether it's here on the blog, in email or over on Maskingwriter. It literally gives me a reason to keep writing.

I have heard the old, old argument from writers that 'you should write because you want to', and sure, that's true. It's a hell of a lot easier to motivate yourself to write when you know someone out there is going to appreciate it. So if you've ever written an email, left a comment or posted a message reply - thank you. (Oh, and feel free to do so again.)

Third and final are my Collaborators. This is a very small and select group of people - I'd actually say, realistically, it's a pair of people. These two are brilliant sounding boards, great inspirations, honest critics and genuine cheering squads when I need it. They get me.

I appreciate every minute they spend with me, every email they read and every honest critique they give me. They've dramatically improved writing I've done, they've given me ideas that I've been proud to showcase, and they're as close to 'real friends' in this community as anyone. So V and M - you know who you are - cheers for that lads. Maybe one day I'll buy both of you a real drink.

For now though, if you fall into any of those categories (and I hope you do), thank you.

4 comments:

  1. I believe I fall into the first two categories, and I thank you for thanking me. But in all seriousness, I can't thank YOU enough for all you have done and contributed over the years to the "culture" of mask fiction. Thank you GW, you are unduly appreciated and were sorely missed during those years you "retired".

    -J.F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, your appreciation is in turn...appreciated.

    Sorry that I haven't been available for much more than the first two C's. If your collaborators have been helping you that much, than they deserve some of our appreciation as well, eh?

    I just finished reading part 16, and it was great! There's an art to saying something, without actually saying it. Your writing is showing that more and more with each story. They get deeper and more visual without being cumbersome with each episode. Keep it up, and we'll have to start paying the book store to read your work! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't always comment, because I find it difficult to come up with useful comment. But I do enjoy reading them and appreciate your efforts. And I Click too, every time :-)

    Elizabeth Rees

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, yes, we all love you and you know we do, and of course everyone's got an ego, and if spending a little while catering to yours will keep the good stuff coming, we're sure to go on doing it.

    By the way, Kurt Vonnegut said that all writers need somebody to write for, even though that someone might be long dead (as was his case) - just as a counterweight to the write for yourself argument.

    ST

    ReplyDelete