Sunday, May 05, 2013

Timelines are funny things

Today, out of the blue, I realized the timeline on Housesitting was out of whack. Or at least, I thought it was.

Funny thing: Housesitting, in very first form, was written in 1999 or so. One of the main characters - the mother - was supposed to have acted in a half-remembered TV show from the early 1980s. Today I realized that couldn't work, if I still wanted her to be the age I wanted. Luckily, moving the fictional TV show ahead by 10 years or so didn't affect the plot at all.

Moving up the timeline so the story takes place in the 'present day' has also opened up things considerably, plot wise - to allow things like smart phones, the internet, laptops and so on, very few things that were so pervasive in 1999!

Time flies, right? I never expected to be finishing up a short story from 1999 in novel form...

No comments:

Post a Comment