Friday, August 14, 2009

Thoughts on the Chameleon's return

I warn random search visitors in advance: I doubt you're looking at this the way I am. Also, SPOILERS for Amazing Spider-Man 602.

As I mentioned before, this week's issue of Amazing Spider-Man features the return of the Chameleon, who in the course of the issue manages to kidnap and impersonate Peter Parker as a ploy to get inside the high security of City Hall, wherein J Jonah Jameson is now serving as Mayor. At least, that's what we assume he's going to do, he hasn't done it yet.

The issue's writer, Fred van Lente, has done a really good job updating the character for the modern world. He's written in a creepy, quite chilling way; ruthless in what he does, clinical, professional... and to me, not entirely convincing.

One fairly major issue I have is this: I've never seen the Chameleon as a serial killer. In this issue he kills one bystander so he can take over their life, and then 'kills' (because, you know, I highly doubt Spider-Man himself is about to die off-panel) Peter Parker too. Without much concern for either death.

Now sure, we could argue that many people in this world wouldn't be missed, especially if after the Chameleon impersonates them, he makes arrangements for them to 'leave town'. And yes, I know it makes the character more threatening if he's willing to kill, and I also know it's just a story and no-one thinks these things through. I'm only giving it thought because frankly I've spent way too much time thinking about this character, as I'm sure you realise.

My take was always that if the Chameleon had to impersonate someone specific, he'd get them out of the way if needed, but only temporarily. He'd also quite often just go ahead and do it, and leave others to figure out why there were two people who looked exactly the same wandering around. This has been seen in previous comic appearances, too.

My other thought was that often, when the Chameleon chose a disguise, it'd be one that wasn't even based on a specific person; it was instead just a generic disguise, non-specific, but convincing. If after all you just need to blend into the crowd, how hard can that be?

Of course for us, as particular consumers of a particular fetish, it's the specific impersonation we crave. That's always more fun to read about. Which is why I found it quite thrilling to see the Chameleon impersonate Peter Parker - even though he's done this before (briefly). As you can see in this preview for next week's issue, he certainly gets away with it, to the extent that he actually manages to seduce Peter's roommate, Michelle - who in fact Peter's already slept with.

Which brings up an interesting point; some commenters on that preview have said that this is rape, because Michelle, while she consents to sex, isn't consenting to sex with Peter. Interesting argument, and I wonder how it'd hold up in the courts. If you think for all intents and purposes that the person you're sleeping with is who they say they are, is it rape? I expect the argument would hinge on consent regardless of who it is.

It is of course a downright sleazy and villainous thing to do - to take advantage like he certainly does - but hey, the Chameleon is a villain. And one thing this storyline seems to be doing is re-affirming his place as a Grade-A one, at that.

If that leads to more storylines, great. I've got to say, it's gotten me thinking about the Chameleon again as a character. How fickle am I, eh?

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the Chameleon hasn't been a killer before(he even kept J.J.J. a prisoner for quite some time). While I do appriciate this new, creepy take on the character as opposed to the ineffective buffoon that he's been in many of his recent appearances, I do think Van Lente did take him a little to far to the extreme. Still, have to see how the arc plays out(I'm still hoping for an MJ impersonation in it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your take on the Chameleon in that he is not a serial killer. In my mind however he struck me as a man who would do it if it was the best course of action.

    There are pro's and cons for keeping your victims around after your impersonation. Like having a fall guy while he makes an escape or pretending to be the victim who 'escapes' the Chameleon, sending the good guy's off on a wild goose chase. With truth serum he can pump the victim for information to better impersonate them.

    On the other hand though keeping a captive around has serious drawbacks. Primarily feeding and worrying they will escape somehow or other people discovering them.

    The short preview of him impersonating Peter Parker though seems to be the more content with letting people just assume that he is who he seems to be and can't be bothered to keep the originals around. :P

    I can see the logic and really, if it looks like the real thing and talks like the real thing, who can tell the difference?

    -zerogouki

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted that late last night and forgot one crucial aspect to the whole serial killer thing...

    .. my thinking was that the Chameleon would probably capture people, impersonate them, and then use some sort of memory-wipe drug to leave them with no memory of the experience. So he'd leave a trail of confused people (Who, potentially, would have a lot of confused relatives and friends around them) instead of a trail of bodies.

    Morally I have no issue with a fictional character killing. It's just the desire for some level of realism in my fiction; there's just no way he could go around killing without a care, without one of the many law enforcement agencies trying to hunt him down and take him out.

    Of course from my perspective as a writer, having the person being impersonated being left alive allows for much more fun scenes where the Chameleon will interact with his victim (see the early issues of SG, as well as the later 'Crossover' arc, for many examples!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me, the killing seems a step backwards.

    It reminds me of a movie (crappy memory, I forgot which one), where the experienced assassin is teaching the rookie. They start with a sniper rifle. As the rookie improves, he (she?) will graduate to training with closer and closer weapons... until he is good enough to kill at point blank range with a knife/bare hands. "Anybody can use a sniper rifle, but it takes a pro to get up close and personal."

    I'm not saying Chameleon needs to kill, but he's the best of the best, the ultimate pro. Part of the skill was arranging for the impersonated to be indisposed/tied up/elsewhere. I'm pretty sure he'd kill if he was in mortal danger and couldn't escape, but just killing a victim seems so amateurish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having been away from the comic book worlds for a several years now I've not kept up with changes but I do have issues with him being a killer. The Chameleon of old would have been above this, any oaf can kill, as he would no doubt have said. He is finesse, he is capable of stepping into anyone's shoes and no one the wiser. While it does make him an edger character I do feel it lessens him. Again since I've not been in the comic buying and reading world for some time mine is a detached view at best.

    ReplyDelete